- Adrenal hormones: These are responsible for the production of cortisol, which contributes to metabolism and controls stress.
- Reproductive hormones: Progesterone and estrogen manage female fertility and menstrual cycle and balance vaginal pH, while testosterone manages bone mass, red blood cell production, and male fertility.
- Sleep hormones: Sleep hormones like melatonin affect the health when out of balance. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc to the entire body, making it more prone to burnout and sickness.
- Thyroid hormones: These are produced by the thyroid and are responsible for metabolism regulation.
5 Hormone Balancing Herbs:
1. Thyme: Preventing Breast Cancer
A team of researchers studied the effects of different herb extract on breast cancer cells in an in vitro study. Thyme was shown to bind to progesterone, a sex hormone which plays role in pregnancy and menstrual cycle. It has been found that thyme is packed with phytoestrogens and phytoprogestins, which mimic the activity of anti-progesterone drugs and stop the growth of breast cancer cells.
2. Holy Basil: Lowering Anxiety
It has been scientifically shown that basil has the ability to lower the levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. According to one study, holy basil extract lowers anxiety levels safely and quite effectively. The subject were given holy basil for six weeks and exhibited improvement in various stressful aspects, including exhaustion, sleep quality, memory issues, and sexual problems.